Monday, January 28, 2008

Bedard for Jones

Just now, Paul e-mailed me this:
Are you as excited about the possibility of him in Seattle as I'm guessing you are? How good does a Felix-Bedard one-two punch make you guys in the AL West?

On the other hand, are you as disturbed about the possibility of adding Luis Gonzalez to the Seattle lineup as I'm guessing you are? On a scale of Beltre to Sexson, where would signing Lu-Go rank?

Brad Wilkerson?? Isn't he just an above-average NL hitter?
A few things, in no particular order:
1. I've loved Bedard for years. Gammons has been trumpeting him ever since I can remember. The possibility of him in Safeco is thrilling.
2. I love he spells it "Erik."
3. Throwing Felix, Erik or Erik, Felix back-to-back will force opposing lineups to strike out almost as much as we will. (For two days in a row). Sexson, Beltre, Wilkerson? Brutal.
4. This trade ensures that we are reasonably competitive, like last year, for the AL West title. Nothing more. That's a harsh reality, and one not every Seattle fan understands or believes.
5. I own both Felix and Bedard on the fantasy team I care most about. They are both penciled in as keepers. I'm not sure I can keep two Seattle starters -- out of four keeper spots. Trouble brewing.
5a. I'm keeping two Seattle starters!
6. I had two fantasy teams last year. The other one was named, from April until September, "adam jones fan club." I went to two Triple-A games last year -- over an hour from my home -- to watch him play. I'm not anxious to lose him.
7. We cannot trade Brandon Morrow. We cannot. Our first round pick last year, the 23-year-old was selected in front of Tim Lincecum and struck out 66 batters in 63 IP last year. Memo to Bavasi: Do not trade Brandon Morrow.
8. Good move otherwise.
9. It will be Wilkerson. Geoff Baker, Seattle Times, has been all over this story. For months. LuGo was a serious possibility a few months ago, now much less likely.
10. A guy named Wladimr Balentin will get more playing time than whoever else is signed.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home