Monday, January 14, 2008

A fantastic NFL postseason rolls on

I'm basking in the glow of some of the best predictions I've ever made. If you missed them, they were made hours before the games kicked off. I supported Eli Manning. I pooh-poohed the Dallas team. I said the Jaguars would cover, be in the game in the fourth quarter, but lose. And I said the Packers would win. I missed the Chargers pick, but that was not the Colts defense I had seen earlier this season. They were not sharp at all. For me, the story of that game was the Colts letting San Diego off the hook over and over again. I'll have to double-check, but I think the Chargers' success rate on third and long was 107%.

Unfortunately, the fact that the Colts's defense is The Official Sports Sauna Dud of the Week means we miss out on Pats-Colts next weekend. Instead, I'm afraid the Chargers are going to be an even easier opponent for the Patriots than the Jaguars were. As I said in my last post, I have the impression, probably from Bill Simmons, that the Pats and their fans have a particular disdain for the Chargers. They won't be caught looking ahead to the Super Bowl. Plus, their coach is the best that I've ever seen.

But there is always a chance for an upset. The one thing San Diego has going for them is its very athletic secondary. Perhaps they'll be able to cover New England's receivers well enough to play them tighter than Jacksonville did this weekend. If Brady throws more than one interception, the Chargers win. Pretty unlikely.

In the NFC, I got the game I wanted. Packers. Favre. Lambeau. Mid-January. I am EXTREMELY excited about this. Has a 42-20 game ever been as riveting as that one we just had? I'm so glad I thought to fix the Fox HD signal in our house ahead of time for that one. The Giants should be a tougher opponent than the Seahawks, but how can you not pick the Packers to win this one?

Looking farther down the road, I think Pats-Packers would be a fantastic Super Bowl. I finally understand what Chris has always said about the Yankees, how it's great that they're good because it makes the games so much more interesting when you have a reason to root against one of the teams. This would be the ultimate Good versus Evil game. Frankly, I'm having a hard time thinking of a Super Bowl in my lifetime that was as highly anticipated as Pats-Packers would be.

Of course, the Patriots would probably win. But Brett Favre winning the Super Bowl at age 38? The only sports event that has ever occurred that would be equivalent to that would be Jack Nicklaus winning the '86 Masters. That is my earliest sports memory. I was watching with my dad in the basement of our old house in Camillus, NY. When Jack won, my dad just kept shouting, "Unbelievable! Unbelievable!" over and over again.

Bottom line, unless you're a Giants fan, hop on the Packers bandwagon. Oh, and find an HD TV to watch the Lambeau game this weekend. There is no ceiling to how great this NFL post-season could be.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Prof. A said...

One other thing... did anyone else think that at the end of the Colts game, after his last pass was incomplete, Peyton looked like he was thinking, "Oh well. At least we won the Super Bowl last year! Can't win em all!"

1/14/2008 6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home