Monday, December 17, 2007

SportsNation - Greatest Highlight Poll

ESPN is doing a Greatest Highlight Poll that I find particularly entertaining. I'm picking my 10 based on how strongly I can see them in my memory. I'm not going to rank them. That would be just too hard. I also noticed that I was much more likely to pick a highlight if I happened to watch the moment live, as is true of all the highlights on my list after 1990. What are your 10?


- Bobby Thomson hits ''Shot Heard 'Round the World'' (Oct. 3, 1951))
This was the highlight that Fyall and I elected to tape our own commentary to at the 2001 All-Star Game Fan Fest in Seattle. Turns out Thomson didn't take any pitches in the at bat, so it was really short and we didn't have time to do much with it.
- Hank Aaron passes Babe Ruth with home run (April 8, 1974)
"He's sitting on 714..."
- Carlton Fisk wills HR fair in World Series against Reds (Oct. 21, 1975)
Even though it ended up being meaningless, something about Fisk waving the ball fair just burns this into your memory, doesn't it?
- Dwight Clark hauls in Joe Montana's TD pass against Dolphins (Jan. 10, 1982)
The play that all fingertip catches in the backyard are compared to. Come to think of it, this play is more remembered for that SI photograph then as a highlight, but I'll leave it on here anyway.
- Cal-Stanford ''The Band is on the Field'' (Nov. 20, 1982)
My favorite part is when the guy with the football clobbers the trombonist in the end zone.
- Bill Buckner's error gives Mets life in World Series (Oct. 25, 1986)
Run, Ray Knight, run!
- Don Beebe's hustle denies Leon Lett in Super Bowl (Jan. 31, 1993)
This one I voted for out of sheer loyalty to those Bills teams, and the defining play of their star-crossed run.
- Michael Jordan's jumper against Jazz gives Bulls title No. 6 (June 14, 1998)
I'm only voting for Jordan once, and this one has to be it, even if it didn't end up being his last game.
- Tiger Woods' chip drops in on way to Masters title (April 10, 2005)
Not his definitive win (for my money, the 2000 US Open at Pebble) or even, in my mind, the most enduring image (his fist pump at the 1997 Masters for his first Major), but highlight-wise, that was a classic moment.
- Boise State's Statue of Liberty beats Oklahoma (Jan. 1, 2007)
By some stroke of luck, I turned on the TV that night with 4:30 to go in regulation. I'll always say the hook-and-later' was the play of the game, but the statue of liberty has surpassed it on highlight reels.



Not on ESPN's list, but on my biased list...
*Hak's Block to seal the 2003 championship, one of the most underrated plays in NCAA championship game history.
*Robin Ventura's walk-off Grand Slam/Double in the 1999 NLCS.
*Louie McCroskey groins Hilton Armstrong in the face on a breakaway dunk in the 2006 blowout loss against UConn.
*McNabb to Brominski, November 15, 1998.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

tiger woods' ace at phoenix. my go-to invocation for what tiger's done to the tour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6S4ap0I33s&feature=related

there were plenty of clips of this on youtube. i chose the one set to deep house.

12/17/2007 3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home