Friday, January 27, 2012

Reckless Blogging: Where have you gone, New Melo?

I don't have any inside information about Melo, sorry. As I posted on twitter (@pa451) when news first broke that he was suspended, "I saw Fab on campus last week, so I can safely say he's been near classrooms at least once this semester."

As a 4th year graduate teaching assistant, I do have some perspective on how he could have some sort of academic situation left over from last semester. I will offer that to you now, with the following rambling thoughts...

I never knew this before I got to grad school and saw the full range of students that attend Syracuse, but while most of us complete all our course work before the end of the semester in order to avoid failing or getting an incomplete, a tiny chunk of students actually DON'T finish their work in the four months they have to get it done. This could be for any number of reasons that basically fall on a spectrum from personal problems worth sympathizing over to laziness (which is also a personal problem, but one that deserves a little less sympathy. Unless you're an unabashed communist like me. {Just kidding. Or am I?})

(I will now recklessly speculate, in the fashion of 21st century bloggers... )

Melo probably got an incomplete. Given the fact that it sounded like Boeheim initially expected him back by tomorrow, I suspect it's only one course. Perhaps the Professor is being a bit more of a stickler than Melo or his academic helpers hoped, and/or the tasks for completing the course are taking a bit more time. Or maybe Melo flunked a makeup final, and has to re-take his make-up. Something like that, I'd guess.

I'd also guess Boeheim is pissed at Melo, not the professor. I just can't imagine Boeheim asking for special treatment from a professor. I cannot see it. The athletes get enough special treatment (I'm still assuming) from whatever tutors and helpers they have. My experience is quite narrow, but I've never heard of any professor getting leaned on by either the basketball or football program to give special treatment to a student. Quite the contrary, actually. Last year Coach Marrone came into history 101 and spoke for five or ten minutes on the value of a Syracuse education after our Professor complained to him that some of his students were talking during lecture.

In the history department a professor bending the rules for an athlete is just unthinkable to me. Most of the professors have only a passing interest in the team. Those that are bigger basketball fans also tend to be long-serving, tenured faculty who are way above reproach. I mean, if reproach could look above itself, up into the air, it would barely be able to make out these professors, they're so high above it. They'd be like specks.

So, if it is a matter of turning one F or one incomplete into a C, I would predict SU gets Melo back by the February 4th St. John's game. If he is still out after that then we can start worrying.

Final thought: I'm not sold on the "losing is good for the team" theory. I am sold that, at least in this case, the additional playing time is good for Rak Christmas. If you thought SU was deep when Rak was getting single-digit minutes per game, an effective Rak would seriously lessen the problem of Fab getting into foul trouble, if and when he comes back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home