Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Introducing...the Horn Companies Big East MPG Challenge!

Over the holidays I was talking SU hoops with Horn, the father of my GF Taylor and owner of the local real estate company, Horn Companies.

"If I asked you which of the three guards would lead the team in minutes per game during the Big East season, who would you guess?"

"Ummm... Scoop. I feel like Boeheim will go with the leadership and experience over the long haul."

He was taken aback. I found out later that he's in the anti-Scoop camp. Oops. Anyway, Horn said he had posed this question to others, and most had voted for Dion. He argued that at the end of the season, it would be Triche who averaged the most time in Big East play. Dion was bound to land in the dog house once or twice, and Triche was the steadiest of them all.

"I feel like Triche is more prone to slumps than Scoop," I countered. "Scoop isn't afraid of the next shot, no matter what the result of the last shot is. Boeheim will sit Triche if he's slumping."

"But what's a slump," asked Horn.

"A string of bad shooting games."

"At this point," argued Horn, "Triche does so much more for the team than score. Even if he's not shooting well, he'll be in the game."

It's an interesting question. One that, depending on your answer, says a lot about your personality as an SU fan. Dion is probably the hot choice for the what-have-you-done-for-me-lately SU fan that is pretty typical around these parts. Scoop is the choice for die-hard homers, like myself, who's glass of orange juice is always half-full. Triche is the savvy choice for the thoughtful, long-time SU fan, like Thorn.

I'm so intrigued, I've decided to track it here in the Sports Sauna. Here is update #1, through 2 Big East games:

The Horn Companies MPG Challenge
Triche: 24 v. Seton Hall, 20 v. DePaul - 44 total, 22 mpg
Scoop: 20 v. Seton Hall, 22 v. DePaul - 42 total, 21 mpg
Dion: 19 v. Seton Hall, 20 v. DePaul - 39 total, 19.5 mpg

By the way, Kris Joseph and CJ Fair lead the team by a wide margin right now with 57 total minutes each. Fab Mello (47 minutes) is third, followed by the three guards.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home