Monday, February 04, 2008

Super Bowl Upset Rankings

Here's the definitive top three Super Bowl Upsets of all time, in terms of signficance and shock factor. As far as I'm concerned, this order is indisputable. I won't hear any arguments against this order, and any comments that make points contrary to my order may be eliminated.

1. SB III - Jets 16, Baltimore 7
2. SB XLII - Giants 17, New England 14
3. SB XXXVI - New England 20, St. Louis 17


That's also the top tier of Super Bowl upsets. No other upsets come close.

One comment: I don't think, under the current playoff system, and with the parity of the NFL these days, the Jets-Baltimore upset will ever be topped. The Jets were considered basically a minor league team and the Colts were a dominant franchise. This year was as close as you can possibly come, with a surprise team making the Super Bowl and beating one of the best teams in NFL history.

Another comment: Ignoring SB III, which I slept through, I'm not sure which game was most exciting in this group. The Rams game had some big plays and a great finish, with that Vinaterii FG to win it when everybody thought the game was going into OT. But it was a tad sloppy at points. Last night's game was a quality defensive struggle, obviously, with a great finish. The David Tyree grab was the memorable moment, in my mind. But my mom did comment in the middle of the third quarter that she thought the game was boring. I was in the minority, rooting for the Rams in SB XXXVI, but I think that was the more exciting game. The image below, a cartoon by Kurt Snibbe of ESPN's Page 2 that I have saved on my computer, tips the scales. He could make a similar one for this year...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home