Friday, March 16, 2012

NCAAs Day 2: Walking Commentary

It's not a running commentary. It's not even a jogging commentary. After yesterday's emotional roller coaster of an SU game, as well as the lack of madness (no buzzer beaters or OTs and only two upsets), I'm not expecting to go nuts with the updates today. But who knows? I tend to be a fast walker...


Relive last year's First Round:
Day 1
Day 2
----------------------------------------------------------

12:16 - Hey! I'm still watching... I'm also rooting against Notre Dame, as much because they beat Syracuse this year as because they are the higher seed. I also like to see as much Tu Holloway as I can. Good games this evening. It salvaged the first round and then some! We'll always remember this as the year two 2-seeds went down. Will a 15-seed make the sweet 16 for the first time (without looking that up, I believe that is true)? I'd go with Norfolk State if I had to choose one.

9:45 - Duke played like garbage. They came in cold and remained cold. Lehigh played solid enough to take advantage. Norfolk State, on the other hand, played out of their minds against a Missouri team that did show up to play.

9:44 - Cousin Eric: "Lehigh's season highlight before today: being up by three at the half against Michigan State."

9:37 - A DOUBLE TWO-SEED UPSET! A DOUBLE TWO-SEED UPSET, ALL THE WAY ACROSS! WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!?!

9:30 - Duke just never heated up. This will be a shockingly low point total against a 15-seed Patriot League team.

9:29 - Every Duke fan knew this team was extremely flawed, but... wow. Didn't see this coming. 

9:28 - Ohio! Fear the MAC. Perpetually under-seeded.

9:14 - Part of me is pulling for Lehigh over Duke. That's how much I love upsets. That said, intentional foul?!?!

8:58 - Cousin Eric: "Duke's strategy of stopping them and shooting the three isn't working on a number of levels... Two to be exact."

7:07 - Doc just reminded me of one of his best ideas. You need all the T-shirts of the underdogs and a few good friends. During the first round of the tournament, head to a crowded sports bar in a major city. For each set of games, everyone gets to put on one of the underdog's T-shirts. Fast-forward to a game like Norfolk State - how awesome would it be to be wearing a Norfolk State shirt throughout that game?

6:55 - Oho! The road is beckoning for the Golden Eagles...

6:52 - Wouldn't it be hilarious if, after pulling for Norfolk State and enjoying Missouri's defeat, all the Kansas fans in Omaha have to suffer through a nail-biter against Detroit? Here's hoping...

6:51 - N-S-U! N-S-U! Break out the red highlighter folks! A giant has fallen!

6:47 - Well, maybe he's not Irish. 0-2 from the line there, leaving life in Missouri. Down by 2, 2.6 seconds to go. Either a buzzer beater, OT, or a buster here. It's what we've been waiting for.

6:46 - O'Quinn! He must be Irish... Anyway, he's wearing green.

6:40 - N-S-U! N-S-U! I'm on my feet with Omaha, and Norfolk State fans around the world...

5:05 - Ugh. Bonnies had the kick-out but tried the 2-point put-back when they needed a three. When will the bracket buster come? Can we get at least one 1-4 seed out, please? Just one? Is that too much to ask? UNC pulling away at half, but Norfolk State with a slight edge over Missouri... Hmmm...

4:05 - ACC is getting clobbered. And just saw that John Henson is out today. I wouldn't worry, UNC fans; Vermont hasn't pulled off any NCAA upsets that I can remember. By the way, you can follow my very funny Cousin Eric on twitter, @E_A_20.

3:40 - Jim Nantz blesses this Creigton-FSU finish, the closest so far: "March Madness has arrived here in Greensboro!" 1 point lead for the Blue Jays with 8.7 seconds to go. Lots of bricks from the free throw line have kept Alabama in it.

3:19 - Ian Eagle jokes, "Three Canadians on this St. Bonaventure roster!" Oh wait, he's not joking?! Whoops! Sorry Canada! And Kris Joseph.

3:17 - Cousin Eric: "I'm pretty sure Bonna's best player has completed 9 hours of course work, total. How the F is Melo not eligible?"

3:10 - Cousin Eric (graduate of SUNY Geneseo, not in the tournament) texting in: "Biggest underdog today - SBU cheerleaders vs. FSU cheerleaders."

3:07 - Hitler's brackets are busted with the Fab Melo news. (You can imagine where it goes from here...)

2:19 - If I ever take part in a flash mob that builds a sneaker out of glow-in-the-dark balloons, just kill me. If that ever happens in real life, Karl Marx is going to crawl out of his grave and, I dunno, go nuts or something. Anyway, he wouldn't like it.

2:16 - Yesss... Every game is within six, and the Cincy-Texas game is coming down to the wire. Yancey just hit two big buckets, including a "I don't care what anyone thinks about me taking this shot, I'm going to F'ing bury it" 18-footer. That guy is a MAN. He could play on the Buffalo D-Line.

1:46 - Googling to figure out if Yancey Gates is related to Antonio Gates, or if they're just the same person. Things are looking good for the Big East, and even better for my loyalties. UConn and West Virginia out. Georgetown only favored by +3.5 (!) against Belmont. Marquette looking awesome. Syracuse setting themselves up as the underdogs.

12:50 - GF Taylor has a good analysis of that Bud Light Pitbull commercial. "So...the women open the beers, and all of a sudden they'll do whatever Pitbull wants them to do?" Fair. Although I'm distracted by the lyrics to the song. I don't speak Spanish, but I believe they're singing, "I would like some Taco Bell."

12:40 - Off we go! If March Madness has taught us one thing over the years it's that as soon as you let your guard down that's when things go nuts. (Okay, maybe that's wishful thinking on my part.) I do have some high hopes for shockers today. Georgetown has lost two straight in the first round, and Belmont almost beat Duke back in 2008. I'm expecting Ohio, out of the tough MAC, to hang with Michigan. Detroit's Ray McCallum will be a pest for Kansas, another team that has gone home early more than its share of times. And most of all, St. Bonaventure, my cousin's alma mater, who I think WILL BEAT Florida State! Why? Because my cousin went there, and because I own two Bonnie hats and I want to wear them around all weekend! Go Bonnies!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home