Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Ranking: From 1 to 64!

The beauty of the bracket is that anything can happen. Anything. Eventually, a 16-seed will beat a 1-seed. Someday, a double-digit seed will win the title. It could happen.

Who will win it all? Here's how likely I think it is for each team to win, from most-likely (Kansas) to least-likely (UTSA).

1. Kansas - They're deep. They're talented. They're well-coached. And of all the top seeds, my gut says this is the team to beat.
2. Duke - Kyrie Irving is ridiculously good. If Coach K (the greatest coach in the game) can integrate him back into the team, look out. Nolan Smith and a healthy Kyrie Irving is the best back-court in the tournament hands down.
3. Ohio St - Jared Sullinger is great, but can he lead the Buckeyes out of that brutal East?
4. Pittsburgh - I don't think they win the title, but this should be the year Pittsburgh makes its first Final Four. (Note: Honestly, I hate to do it, but I've got all four 1-seeds in my Bracket of Integrity's [BoI] Final Four.)
5. Purdue - I don't love the 2-seeds. I do love Purdue's two see-niors! (See what I did there?) JaJuan Johnson gives them 20.5 ppg inside, with E'Twaun Moore adding a healthy 18.3 ppg from the 2-guard. I also think Matt Painter is an elite coach right now. This is my 2011 dark-horse.
6. Connecticut - They are streaky. They are young. They are susceptible to bad stretches of play. On the other hand...Kemba.
7. Syracuse - I've said all year that this team wasn't really a title contender. However, I think the Cleveland pod followed by the East final in Newark really helps the Orange. Put yourself in Ohio State or North Carolina's shoes; do you want to play Syracuse in Newark? And if they can make it that far...why not?
8. Wisconsin - Another Big 10 team with two upperclassmen scoring 18.0+ ppg, a great defense, and a great coach. (Note: That's right, I'm putting a 4-seed above all the 2-seeds. Lots of talent on the 4-line this year. You know what? I'll do it again!)
9. Kentucky - They're not as heralded or even as talented as last year, but Freshmen Brandon Knight and Terrence Jones really came on as the Wildcats won 8 of their last 9. Call me crazy, but I could see Calipari's first title sneaking up on us. Speaking of crazy, it's insane that Florida got a 2-seed after Kentucky demolished them in the SEC championship.
10. Notre Dame - Okay. I'll put a 2-seed on the board. I'm as skeptical as you are that this team could win it all. Still, in a supposedly wide-open bracket, maybe...
11. North Carolina - I had written off the Tar Heels long ago this year, but the weak ACC allowed them to pull it together. Harrison Barnes looks great. Still, I think people are giving them too much credit based on the name.
12. Louisville - I can't think rationally about Kyle Kuric.
13. Texas - T is for "talent."
14. Xavier - I just blew your mind. If the legends are true, Tu Holloway could blow all of our minds if the Musketeers can battle their way through a tough draw.
15. San Diego St. - It's a nice story, but I don't buy it.
16. Florida - Whatever.
17. Kansas State - I'm actually picking them to lose to Utah State in my BoI, but if the beard gets going, look out.
18. Georgetown - Another team that could crash out early or make a run. Chris Wright is back, though, so perhaps the Hoyas can right the ship and then some. Austin Freeman is very, very good.
19. BYU - Fine. I'll put the Cougars here. Yes, I love the Jimmer. I just think the loss of Brandon Davies is going to kill their chances for a title.
20. Vanderbilt - John Jenkins. Sophomore. Scores from everywhere. (Note: I feel like there is a big gap from 20 to 21.)
21. Washington - The East, man. I'm tellin' ya.
22. Arizona - Great big man, but great big men can't do it alone in the tourney.
23. Michigan St - When in doubt, take Izzo with talent.
24. Temple - Bill Cosby went here.
25. UCLA - Off-year for the Bruins, but I love their coach.
26. Butler - I feel like last year's experience is more of a curse than a blessing for this year, but the Bulldogs are still tough without Gordon Hayward.
27. St. John's - This is about right for a team that I've been arguing has peaked.
28. Penn State - I like teams with guards who can score, like Talor Battle.
29. Utah St - They deserved much better than a 12-seed, but the committee always hates the Aggies.
30. Gonzaga - Word on the street is they'll be better next year, but senior Steven Gray might have a few things to say to the street before he's done.
31. Texas A&M - Not the best Aggies in the tournament.
32. Richmond - Gotta love the Princeton offense.
33. Memphis - Hey! Memphis is in this tournament!
34. Oakland - Cinderella, meet Keith Benson.
35. Old Dominion - For some reason, I like to call Old Dominion "Old Dirty Bastard" in my head.
36. Florida St - Whatever.
37. Cincinnati - Eh.
38. Georgia - Bah.
39. Illinois - Hm.
40. George Mason - Ah!
41. UNLV - So.
42. Clemson - They really stuck it to my "UAB is going to play the 'nobody believes in us' card and win two games" theory.
43. Belmont - Beware.
44. Marquette - I would like these guys more to do some damage in a weaker bracket.
45. VCU - Not bad. Actually, I would have them a few notches lower but I forgot about them and didn't feel like changing a bunch of numbers.
46. Villanova - Disastrous.
47. Missouri - Also not playing great.
48. Michigan - I didn't watch the Fab 5. Heard it was good, though.
49. Tennessee - Never pick a team whose coach is being investigate by the NCAA and whose AD just said he might not be back next year.
50. West Virginia - Ha ha ha HA HA HA! Classic Huggins!
51. Indiana St - Yes, I do believe Syracuse got the toughest 14-seed. Always fear the Missouri Valley Conference. This could be Vermont all over again.
52. Morehead St - There's a small but real chance Louisville sucks. I just can't tell. Kyle Kuric haunts my dreams.
53. Akron - Look out Notre Dame! They play good basketball in the Mid-America Conference.
54. Princeton - Won't happen this year.
55. Wofford - BYU's first round game will be closer than you think. (Yes, I know it's called the second round now. I refuse to follow that crap. Just like when they started naming the regions after the city where they were being held rather than the directional name. No thanks.)
56. Saint Peter's - Possible.
57. Long Island - You think...nah!
58. Bucknell - Nah.
59. Northern Colorado - Well, one team from Colorado is dancing.
60. UC Santa Barbara - Nope.
61. Boston U - I asked Boston grad and friend of the Sauna Andrew if the Terriers had a chance. He said they had a chance to have the first lead of the game. Well then...
62. Hampton - Hampton beats Duke...would make an amazing headline, wouldn't it?
63. UNC-Asheville - No.
64. UT-San Antonio - I have nothing else to say.

Happy March Madness! Go Orange!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home