Monday, October 23, 2006

Shawn Merriman

Talk about an immediate test to our respective theories! Shawn Merriman (who is filthy good in Madden '07) tested positive, apparently, for anabolic steroids -- or whatever "not one of those supplemental deals" means -- at some point last week. He's been suspended for four games.

I think Merriman is exactly the kind of high profile player that will put NFL fans to the test on this steroids issue. Merriman is not the equivalent of an entire Super Bowl roster testing positive, but it's the next best thing for theory testing. He's been ridiculously good and hyped. A baseball parallel would be, uh, Jose Reyes or something. Right? Maybe Travis Hafner? Young, excellent, recognized. Anyway.

I hypothesized in my post that no NFL players would be caught with anabolic steroids. Whoops. Wrong on that count, govna!

I'll still be surprised by any significant backlash against Merriman. Even though he has been caught red-handed, I place the odds of somebody throwing a syringe, for instance, at Merriman at approximately 1%. People won't care.

Of the four articles currently on ESPN.com about this issue, only one deals directly with Merriman. One is a "Your Take" link, one is a "What will the Chargers do?" and one is a "Chargers lost their game today." Are you serious? If Hafner tests positive, ESPN.com's entire front page is dominated by What Hafner Did, When He Did It, and Next Gallows Vacancy Three Weeks From Tuesday.

In the interests of balance, I should note that Eric Allen (who?) did write this on ESPN.com: "This is a kid who presumably wanted to one day be mentioned in the same breath as luminaries like Mike Singletary, Dick Butkus, Ray Lewis and Lawrence Taylor. Now he stands a much better chance of being mentioned in the same breath as Brian Bosworth and Tony Mandarich."

Unlikely, I say, but I guess we'll see.

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

In related news, Kenny Rogers may or may not have cheated last night in the World Series, and it is the top news on ESPN.com. There are three stories exclusively dealing, Yes, with Kenny's cheating.

A Pro Bowl, Rookie of the Year football player does cheat — and with anabolic steroids!! — but a baseball player's possible cheating is bigger news.

...shakes head. NFL fans don't care. Do we need bigger proof?

10/23/2006 2:34 PM  
Blogger Prof. A said...

I kinda like the idea of pitchers doctoring the baseball. I don't think I'm alone. It's old school cheating, and if they get away with it, so much the better. If Mike Scott was scuffing balls in 86, I'm extra glad the Mets beat the Stros.

I've only vaguely heard of Merriman, but I suppose anyone who are as close to MLB as I have been to the NFL this season have only vaguely heard of Hafner, so perhaps a good parallel. On the other hand, Hafner's been around a few years now. It'lll be much more interesting when a vet gets caught.

10/23/2006 3:13 PM  
Blogger Prof. A said...

Oops. Merriman is 2nd year, won ROY-defender last year. See? I'm clueless. Last year I didn't follow the NFL very well either. Worst fantasy season ever. Luckily I'm back this season, even from London.

10/23/2006 3:15 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Yeah, doctoring has a positive connotation to it. There's something old-timey about it.

The last pitcher in baseball to be caught doctoring the ball was also a Tiger, as best I can recall.

Brian Moehler, right? What was that? 2003? Anyway. Go cheaters!

10/23/2006 5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home