Saturday, October 21, 2006

NFL Steroids

I'm quite sure, at this point, that I could make a name for myself as a writer if I took the time to dig up as much as I could about steroid abuse in the NFL. The problem is A)The nearest NFL team is on the other side of an ocean to me and B)I'm not really up to the task, both in my shortcomings as a reporter and my general lack of desire to write about steroids. Fyall...you're welcome to take this idea and run with it. Just put me in the acknowledgements of your best-seller.

For now, I'll continue to occaisionally bring up my theory that the lack of steroid news from the NFL relative to the MLB is not based on the excellence of the NFL testing and prevention policies, but rather from success on behalf of the players and others to cover up steroid use. My prediction: by the time I move back to the US in a few years, steroids will have been revealed as a much larger problem in the NFL then we now believe.

Two new steroid news reports Wednesday:

First, Atlanta Falcon Matt Lehr was busted for violating the steroids and related substances abuse policy. Lehr claims the illegal substance was in an a nutritional substance. Yeah right.

Second, Shaun Rogers of the Detroit Lions was also suspended for four games. He says he was taking an appetite suppressant which contained a banned substance because he was getting late night food cravings because of a sleeping disorder. It's complicated.

-----P.S.-----

Just saw Fyall's comments yesterday regarding this incomplete post. I think he's hit on something in his contrast of the NFL to baseball. I still think you could make quite a splash with a 300 page expose on steroids in the NFL.

But other than that, we're on the same page; there is less buzz around steroid coverage for the NFL than for MLB. Just compare how much you heard about the Panthers with how much you heard about Barry Bonds.

Would the Panthers story have been a bigger deal if they had won the Super Bowl? I think so. What if it came out that the entire Steeler's roster, including Bill Cowher's jaw, was on steroids last year? NOW how do you feel, Seattle? I think it'd be a bigger uproar over steroids than over the refereeing.

Something approaching that theoretical is coming. That's all I'm saying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home