Tuesday, October 10, 2006

European Championship Qualifying: England v. Macedonia

I caught the England-Macedonia game on Sunday. If you didn't hear, it ended in a 0-0 draw. It was played at Old Trafford. Debacle. Absolutely no visible difference in the style of play under Steve McClaren from ex-coach Sven Goran-Eriksson.

Well, there was one difference. England were missing a midfielder who could consistently deliver good crosses to the strikers. I don't understand why there was such a popular push in England for Beckham to leave the national team. He was their best player at the World Cup. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Having said that, I would agree with taking Beckham out if the thinking is that he'll be too far past his prime in summer 2008 to play a big role on the team.

Frankly, they shouldn't need Beckham. England continues to have great depth at midfield. Against Macedonia, they dominated possession from the defense to the midfield. But there was no spark in the attack. Just like in the World Cup. The thing that baffles me is how the England national team fails to draw from the style of play in the English Premier league. Meanwhile, teams like Sweden, with a bunch of England-based players, tends attack with the English-style fast-paced passing. I just don't understand it.

England play Croatia tomorrow night: a much tougher match-up. I hope that the England offense starts to actually entertain as it should. Otherwise this could be a brutal couple of years following the team.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home