Thursday, September 28, 2006

Dream Team, er, Chelsea's Lineup

Didier is massively strong, and I love him for it. He's a little Crouch-like with his footwork, and that can be difficult to stomach, but you get over it. I'm a Didier guy. In fact, the only Chelsea poster I've ever considered buying featured him looking all sorts of awesome. He was only running.

More than anything, however, I'm a Joe Cole Guy. No other Englishman has his talents on the ball. (This clip is incredible). The problem with being a Joe Cole Guy is that Joe Cole might not have a spot with Chelsea right now. I just don't know where he fits.

The thing is, when building Chelsea's lineup, you have to start in the midfield. Ballack and Lampard simply must play. They must. I'm a believer in getting your best players on the field, and those guys are our best -- outside of Terry, who is our rock, and the best player in England. Period.

That said, I haven't seen this current roster play much. Some of them not at all. Mikel? He might be the most intriguing player on the roster, but I've never seen him play. Shevchenko? Never seen him score. Hilario, Kalou, Khalid? Couldn't pick them out of a lineup.

OK, enough pussy-footing about. Let's go with a drawing, because 4-4-2 is too rigid to mean anything:

.............Didier..... Shevy..................
----------------------------------------------------
..........................Lampard................
..........Ballack..................................
........................................Essien......
..................Makelele........................
-- Cole --------------------------------------------
..............Terry....Carvalho...Khalid.......
----------------------------------------------------
.....................Cech........................

Bridge should see a lot of action this way, as Cole should be running himself dead-ragged by about minute 70. Ashley's a fifth midfielder, and for every two minutes in our 18-yard-box, I hope he's spending one in theirs. Bottom line: We need him on their touchline.

The problem with the lineup is obviously a lack of width. Width is an offensive concept, however, and this lineup has plenty. Not only can it legitimately score from 35 yards out, but it has to be one of the most frightening set-piece squads ever created. Terry, Carvalho, Drogba as targets, with Shevy, Essien, and Lampard/Ballack/Cole (whoever isn't kicking) picking up scraps? Are you kidding me?

To get even more offensive, though, I'd take off Makelele for Joe Cole or Arjen, and slide them where Essien had been -- although I'd ask them to play wider. In another year, I think Essien could fill Makelele's role full-time, and Joe Cole could regain a starting position. It seems important to note that Essien, with Ballack/Lampard/Terry, must be on the field. He's the fourth absolute.

I'm conflicted with our forwards. Shevy and Didier win because I trust Jose.

Besides Bridge, Robben and Joe Cole, I also have a strong desire to get Ferriera on the field. That guy has been a warrior for us, and I never lack for confidence when he is on the field. Also, I like the fact that he's Portugese.

Go Blue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home