Monday, September 11, 2006

Opening Weekend, Deion Branch, and the Hawks

OK, before we tackle this issue, let's tackle the elephant in the room: I'm not really an NFL guy, I'm definitely no fan of Shaun Alexander's, and although I love Tony Kornheisher, I'm not sure I can support MNF double-headers. Please. That's going too far.

I guess they have a reason: did everybody see that ESPN is paying $1.1 billion for MNF? That's 83 percent more than they paid last year for Sunday Night. The NFL's director of broadcasting rights said "ESPN is addicted to and cannot live without the NFL." Yikes. Sucks to bargain with a guy who says things like that about you. Sucks worse when he's right.

Watching Peyton Manning when he is on your fantasy team is infinitely more enjoyable than watching him when he's not. It seems like his many audibles are efforts on your behalf. Yes, Chris, he seemed to say all last night, I'm working for you. Let's do this.

I'm not sure if I'm a fool (yes), or if I'm gullible (yes), but I'm buying into Seattle's Seahawks hype. We'll be back to the playoffs not because of #37, but because our defense didn't just get better, it got freaking nasty. Julian Peterson was god's gift to outside linebackers two years ago. (Please forget for a quick moment that LaVar Arrington was also, at that time, a gift from heaven -- whatever happened to him?) Peterson is still sculpted, and quick, and generally devastating. Kenny Hamlin is solid, Michael Boulware is a beast, and our defensive line is so deep, I think we're carrying nine guys who play every Sunday. It is clear to me and to everybody else that Shaun Alexander will be subpar, but that's missing the point. Matt Hasselbeck is the point. He's bald, and therefore intelligent looking. Even yesterday, when our O-line was woeful, he completed 25 of 30 for 210 yards. Not too shabby. Nevermind that our top reciever was our fullback, Hasselbeck moved the ball on the road better than the home team did. Chaulk one up.

I love the Branch pickup. I know that salaries are a big part of the NFL, but there was no way we were getting a player better than Branch in next year's draft. I'm consistently surprised by the value draft picks are given.

If you are an NFL team, and you probably won't have a Top 10 pick, how do you not deal a first rounder for a 26-year-old, Super Bowl MVP wide reciever? Seems like an obvious move to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home