Sunday, March 26, 2006

Officially a New Era

Some amazing facts:

This is the first time since the tournament went to 64 teams that no 1-seed has advanced to the final four, and the second time in history.

This is the first time since the tournament went to 64 teams that a non-big-time program (you know what I'm talking about) made the final four.

This is the first time George Mason has won a single game in the NCAA tournament.

This is the second time in history a double-digit team (LSU, as an 11, in 1986) has made the final four.


* * *

All year long, I've been trying to whittle down the field to a small group from which the champion would come. I got it down to 8 teams. All of those teams have been eliminated. If I was allowed to add teams on the same guidelines as I had coming in armed with my knowledge of college basketball right now, the only one I'd add would be UCLA. But clearly, any of these teams could win two games at this point. So my survivor theory is out the window.

For a few years, that pool of potential champions coming into the tournament has been growing. This year, even if George Mason doesn't win, the idea that any team from 1 to 50 could win the whole thing has gone from moderately far-fetched to entirely plausible.

Isn't that awesome?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home