Thursday, March 23, 2006

Round 3: Running Diary - 1st pair of games

I'm sitting in front of the TV, and in front of my computer, and I'm having thoughts I want to share. It's the start of the 2nd half already, but I may as well running diary-it-up.

8:24 Duke trailing by 4. Redick just missed an open short jumper then turned it over next possession. Of course, anyone who read my Gerry v. JJ post knows that Redick has never had a really great performance in the NCAAs. Wouldn't it be a great game if they were facing off right now? I mean, even from a neutral perspective?

8:28 15 minutes to go in the game, Duke down by 6, and Redick is getting mad. When Gerry gets mad, it generally means points. I'm not familiar enough with Redick to know what happens to him. OK, I'll never mention the Pride of Scranton again. I liked Hak way more anyway.

8:32 OK, since the half began, I've seen 1-2 travels and at least 2 fouls not called on Duke, and 1 or 2 fouls called on LSU that were suspect. I'd say that the refs were calling it for Duke, but I know the head official, Tim Higgins, because he's a Big East ref and I can honestly say that he's just bad. His crew will make 10 atrocious calls a game, but they'll generally even out, and he'll be voted best official by the Big East coaches.

8:36 What I'm seeing is Redick being shut down by good man-to-man defense. First time all year, I think. Duke still down only 5, though.

8:44 LSU still can't pull away...and DeMarcus Nelson hits a three to cut it to 2 with 11 minutes to go. You have to wonder how much better Duke would be if DeMarcus had played the whole season. Duke run coming??

8:46 Duke now leads 42-40 after gorgeous back-to-back alley-oops to Josh McRoberts. 7-0 run. And let me tell you, Dick Enberg is really excited. Good ol' Dick...still hasn't been overcome by the Pat Summeral factor* just yet.

9:02 I just spent 15 minutes trying to remember Jim McKay's name. Meanwhile, neither team has taken controll of this game. It's going to be a great finish. 47-47 with 5:35 to go. JJ has only 6 points of 2-13 shooting. And they IDed Garrett Temple as the defender who's been guarding him.

9:07 A minute ago, Jay Bilas said, "The offensive rebound has been LSU's best offense." The Tigers just grabbed another one and drew a shooting foul at the final TV-timeout. It's not just Glen Davis doing to damage. Mitchell has 9 boards and Thomas has 14. Sheldon Williams is overwhelmed, giant forehead and all.

9:17 1:32 to go, LSU by one with the ball. I'm not feeling it for Duke. Redick needs to step up and show some sparkle he hasn't shown all game. That's right. Sparkle.

9:23 Duke falls into a coma on defense, then Greg Paulus takes a crumby lay-up against a couple of the best shotblockers in the tourney. Needless to say, LSU is shooting foulshots up by 3.

9:25 Sheldon Williams's college career is about to come to an end because he couldn't box out Glen Davis.

9:26 Sheldon Williams's college career is about to come to an end because he couldn't box out Glen Davis twice in a row, the 2nd time coming with Davis shooting and no other Tigers in the paint.

9:27 Goodbye Duke. Funny thing is, I'm not even that bummed. They didn't deserve to win. 62-54.

9:30 Meanwhile, Bradley is down 74-58. Too bad. But they had an impressive run. Unless Bradley comes back, I'll pick it up back here for the late pairs of games.


*Pat Summeral factor: when an announcer gets so old, his senility is uncomfortable (or wickedly hilarious, if you're an insensitive jerk like me). See also: Ralph Kiner, Ken Venturi, Daniel Shore, Jim McKay. Keith Jackson can't see and is far from sharp, but he's still somehow graceful, and has avoided the Pat Summeral factor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home