Friday, March 17, 2006

Day 2: Running Diary - 2:30 games

3:30pm
Woo-hoo! I'm at my parents' house, so I've got access to all four games right now. Northern Iowa leads Georgetown by 4 at the half. Could have been more, but Georgetown seemed to get itself together at the end of the half.

So. Illinois trails WVU by 6 halfway through the 1st. This is a tough draw for the Mountaineers. The Salukis are always in the tourney, and have 3 wins in the last 4 years.

Oral Roberts sticking with Memphis 10 minutes in. Mouthy Bobs trail by 6.

Villanova can't get the offense going in their game. 10-6 Wildcats with 7 minutes to go in the first. Remember: my theory is that the first 16-seed to win an NCAA game will come out of the play-in game and utilize that momentum. That's Monmouth this year.


3:44
Well, as soon as I switched to the Nova game, the Cats ran off a 10-2 run to take a 12-point lead, and I'm not seeing much from Monmouth. Oh well.


3:48
The Mouthy Bobs, on the other hand, just took the lead by 1 against Memphis. I've been saying "nay" all week to the folks who thought Memphis was a weak 1-seed, but this nay-sayer might have to rethink his nay-ing.


3:50
Some guy named Larry Owens just made a ridiculus lay up off a terrible ally-oop pass. With 5:19 to go, ORU leads Memphis 33-30 and the crowd is loving it. Apparently, a lot of the lame duck Arkansas fans are sticking around for this one. It's Madness!


3:59
One game is at halftime. The others are on commercial. Life sucks.


4:05
Northern Iowa has a 6'8" guy guarding 7' Roy Hibbert, who has 15 points now, but is being out-muscled for rebounds.

Gus Johnson is calling this game. I know that Bill Simmons thinks Gus yells way too much, but I like his style in March. A back-and-forth game like this deserves a yell every time a shot goes up. And then when he somehow kicks it up an extra notch in the final minute, well, that gets me on my feet. Quite frankly, he's my favorite play-by-play guy in CBS's arsenal of announcers.


4:33
OK. I'll admit it. I found the Sports Guy's newest column and got sucked into that. Meanwhile, Georgetown is up 5 with 1:45 to go. Might be pulling away here. No other game has a single digit margin. Could be a dud round of games.


4:36
Northern Iowa...down by four and fouling with 20 seconds to go. Stick a fork in em. I guess my next best option is the Mouthy Bobs, within 10 with 14 minutes to go.


4:49
My mom just called from New Jersey and I had the most intelligent sports conversation I've ever had with her. She asked me how the SU game ended last night because she had fallen asleep, then said it was tough that Syracuse had to play again so soon after the four games in a row last week and wasn't surprised that Gerry couldn't go. That's the way things are in Syracuse during the Glory Years of Orange Basketball; even my mom is on top of things.


4:52
The Mouthy Bobs and Monmouth are taking turns cutting their deficits to 9, but they can't get any closer. Clearly, 16-seeds are closer to 1-seeds than ever before. But neither of these guys is going to pull it off. Still one last hope in Albany, the best (by RPI) 16-seed ever.


4:57
Randy Foye hits a nice little runner after Monmouth cuts the lead to 7. You know what? Add Villanova to the list of teams not getting enough hype at this point to cut down the nets. What's not to like about these guys? Not as much talent as UConn, but more heart. No single player as good as Redick, but so much harder to game plan for than Duke.


5:01
West Virginia crushed the Salukis. 18 points is an impressive margin in a 6-11 game. I like my "Last Second Bracket" pick of West Virginia to make the final four. They can definitely beat Texas.


5:21
And both top seeds advance. That'll do 'er for me. 40 Teams still alive...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home