Tuesday, March 21, 2006

WBC: Thumbs Up!

I just caught the last game of the World Baseball Classic and I'd be remiss if I didn't give The Sports Sauna's official vote of confidence. I didn't watch as much of it as I wanted, but I preferred this to spring training for sure, and even found it a little more compelling than your average regular season game. It meant a ton to all the players, and that was clear to the viewer.

I also realized that I knew only two players tonight (Ichiro and Otsuka), but that wasn't even a turn off. Part of it was Ichiro alone made Japan fascinating, but mostly it was the storylines of the two teams.

You had Cuba, finally proving that it could play with anyone else in the world. And you had Japan, managed by the great Sadaharu Oh, playing their unique style and finally establishing that brand at the top of the world.

If they can find a better time or schedule to do it so that more stars would participate, that's great. But as long as just as many participate as this time around, I think the WBC will be successful. Actually, my biggest issue was that it was going against March basketball. If I really get into the Classic three years from now, it could really get me in trouble at the office. Assuming I have a job by then...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home