Wednesday, March 22, 2006

In Case You Missed It...

This afternoon, ESPN.com's Bill Simmons, The Sports Guy, the man with my dream job, hit the 2-hour mark for an online chat.

Now I'm not a huge ESPN.com chat guy. The only other "person" I've ever watched in the chat room is Hec and Vic, on Sunday morning, when I'm looking for some last minute advice for my fantasy football teams. But I have to say, about 45 minutes in, I realized this was something special.

As one of the chatters pointed out (and everyone was aware of what was going on the whole time), usually guys only get to like 7 minutes in an hour. But the Sports Guy was cranking them out so fast, you were assured of something new every time you hit the refresh. It was unreal.

Bottom line is this is one of the hardest working columnists in sports, and yet he gets a ridiculous amount of flack for not pounding out enough material. What's up with that? And this was another running topic in the chat room. Who are these people that log on to SG World, don't see a new column, and it gets them so enraged that they'll send hate mail about it? I'll know the Sports Sauna has made it when people get mad at me for NOT getting a regular dose of sharp analysis that makes them feel like they're beating themselves with a birch branch.

Oh, and I asked one question of the Sports Guy, but he didn't answer it. So I sent him an envelope full of anthrax. (That was a joke, Mr. Cheney.) I asked him to comment on an interesting fact that Gammons reported the other day, and Fyall pased on to me; turns out that the MLBer who visits Cooperstown most frequently is Ichiro! Isn't that sweet? Yet another reason (along with stadium and Edgar Martinez) why it's cool to be a Mariners fan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home