Thursday, January 06, 2011

The Lazy Man's Fantasy Golf League: 2011

On the off chance there is one person on the internet interested, below is my 2011 Fantasy Golf Team. First, the rules:

-Buy 10 to 15 golfers based on last year's PGA Tour earnings under a salary cap of $25 million.
-The most money earned on the PGA Tour this season wins.
-No roster changes during the season. Once you've submitted your roster, that's it. You watch and hope.

We usually have about 50 people in the pool. In 5 or 6 years I've only placed in the top 10 once. Pretty disappointing. But last year I was 12th. With a few strategy adjustments, I'm confident this year. Generally, I try to target guys who didn't win a tournament last year, but who are good enough to win this year; winning a tournament is a big bump for the winnings. That always makes the first tournament of the season at Kapalua a bit of a dud, since only winners from the previous season are invited to play. This year, however, I have two guys in the field. Here is my team, and the reason I took him:

Paul Casey - $3,613,194: Right in his prime, but didn't win on tour last year.
Bo Van Pelt - $3,336,258: Hitting his prime, but didn't win on tour last year.
Anthony Kim - $2,574,921: Injured in the 2nd half of last season, so I'm hoping he bounces back to the top 10 in money.
Nick Watney - $2,536,714: 29-years old, loads of talent, only 2 missed cuts but zero wins in 2010
Geoff Ogilvy - $2,393,045: Partly a sentimental pick, partly a guess that he'll play well all year instead of just in the beginning. Alas, before he even hits his first ball, he's off to a rough start.
Sean O'Hair - $1,859,040: What can I say? Bob Hariq knows more than me, so I'll ride what he says.
Ricky Barnes - $1,835,195: I like his career trajectory, and expect another step forward.
Steve Marino - $1,479,239: I took him last year and he took a step back, but all the experts love his game.
Tiger Woods - $1,294,765: A lock for everyone's roster this season.
Ryuji Imada - $1,028,869: At 33 he's a touch older than some of these other guys who I hope will break, but I think this is a good, safe price for a guy who could win a tournament or two any given year.
Chad Campbell - $971,154: Bargain price, relative to his career. This was a no-brainer.
Robert Karlsson - $853,170: Talented European playing a full PGA schedule (15 tournaments) this year
Charl Schwartzel - $676,845: See-Robert Karlsson
Jarrod Lyle - $422,760: I like to take a couple fliers on rookies. Research says he could be good.
Jaime Lovemark - $75,000: That's the price for guys who earned zilch on the tour last year. It's a nice low-risk buy for a guy who many think will be the rookie-of-the-year.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home