Thursday, January 15, 2009

Salary Cap Considerations

First, read this excellent article referred to me by my brother Dan. Shawn Hoffman of Baseball Prospectus points out that a salary cap in baseball might be devastating to small market teams, believe it or not.

Chris actually was the first one to get me thinking outside the box about the value of parity, particularly in baseball. Frankly, it's delightful to see the Yankees lose. It was cool to root for the Rays this year, and smaller teams in general.

Chris has also criticized the NFL because "he doesn't know who is good," and that has really played out this year. Still, I think the NFL regular season is ridiculously compelling because of the parity. I haven't been into fantasy that much, and I'm still addicted to watching football on Sunday almost in spite of myself.

On the other hand...last year was one of the best NFL regular seasons in memory precisely because there was one dominant team. Actually, there was one dominant team and a couple really, really good teams. Remember the hype for the Cowboys-Pats, Indy-Pats, and Giants-Pats games? Ridiculous.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home