Saturday, August 11, 2007

Quick PGA Comment

I'm heading to the mountains for some hiking this weekend, but I'm sure about 33.3003% of our readers are interested in my thoughts for the PGA this weekend. In a related note, I finally got our aerial antenna connected to our TiVo box allowing me to record the local channels' HD signals. Basically, no technological innovation in the remainder of my lifetime can top this current arrangement. If you do not have TiVo, go out and buy it, rent it, steal it...whatever you have to do. Use it for a week... lock it in a safe for a year then take it out and use it again... it is that good.

As for the PGA, here's my prediction... TNT comes on at 11am and Ernie Johnson announces that overnight, PGA officials met with the players on the leaderboard and have decided that it just wasn't worth playing this weekend. It's too damn hot and, well, frankly, everyone knows Tiger is going to blow away the field anyway.

Southern Hills this year might be the least "Tiger-proofed" course since the word "Tiger-proofed" was coined (which, as a sidenote, might be the most awesomely-cool term ever to reveal how dominating an athlete was). The rough is not long, so there is low punishment for a little inaccuracy off the tee. Why do you think John Daly is on the leaderboard? I think it would be really interesting if he puts up some kind of crazy weekend that blows the field away, like he used to do when he was playing his brains out back at the start of the millenium. If that does happen, you've got to wonder if "Tiger-proofing" actually does work.

Meanwhile, Tiger is dialed in with his short irons. For me, short iron-play is the easiest part of the game to keep doing well once you're dialed in. Driving and long-irons require a long swing that's slightly harder to keep consistent, and putting has a bit of luck involved (see: Tiger's putt on 18 yesterday). So I think Tiger keeps sticking his approach shots. He is, after all, the best short-iron striker ever.

So as much as I'd like to see how low Tiger can shoot, I just don't think it's worth it to make these guys march around for five hours in 100+ degree weather. Call off the tournament. Give the trophy to Tiger.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home