Monday, July 30, 2007

Two Notent Notables

  • For a shorter, better editted, MUCH better informed wrap of the Tour, here's Bonnie DeSimone of ESPN.com. I wasn't a huge fan of the first two or three of her articles that I read, but I like her realism here. Here's another of her articles on one rider we can trust.
  • My newest thought on Beckham is that if there is one thing that is true time and time again is that Americans are suckers for individual stars. I don't think there are only "non-soccer fans" and "soccer fans" in America. I think there are a lot of people in the middle who sometimes bash soccer but every four years they get swept up to varying degrees in the World Cup if the games are on at a reasonable time to watch. Those are the people I think the MLS is going attract via television for Beckham games. If they turn on ESPN, and David Beckham is on screen, they are going to watch much much longer than if he wasn't. Of course, I haven't managed to watch a single Beckham game yet...
P.N.N. I didn't want to make a whole new post about this, but Iban Mayo tested positive for blood doping. Mayo is known as an inconsistent cyclist. A few years ago, in the first Tour I watched, he was a top contender. After that he never came close again, but would have occasional excellent stages. I suppose that might be a sign of a doper. Certainly inconsistency was Vinokourov's profile this year, and Landis's last year.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I think the MLS needs people who care about the league. My theory: Only "rabid soccer fans" will ever care about the MLS.

So, yes, there are people who are mildly interested in soccer who might watch a few hours of ESPN if Beckham is playing. Clearly. The NASL was drawing 70,000 three decades ago. But there is short-term gain, and there's long-term stability.

Rabid fans are needed for long-term stability. I'm a possible rabid fan, but I'm not currently interested in the MLS. So. Take note, MLS. Stop chasing the people who will never be rabid.

7/30/2007 12:10 PM  
Blogger Prof. A said...

Good point.

7/30/2007 7:56 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Yes!

7/31/2007 1:45 AM  
Blogger justinistired said...

Chris -- it's not YOU MLS wants.

They're courting the 14-year-old girl demographic.

I'm surprised that ABC/ESPN hasn't started planning a 'Bend it like Beckham' weekend yet.

7/31/2007 12:35 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

If it's just me and a bunch of 14-year-old girls, then that's not a bad thing in five years. I'll have to be patient, sure, but... wait.

Whoa. Is there any way to erase things once they're on the Internet? Crap. I'll deny anything/everything that has been said.

7/31/2007 6:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris Fyall. Your name has been entered into a database and your future Internet behavior is being monitored.

...Due to recent "laws" we are required to notify you of our actions.

Watch your ass.

--Inspector Frank Torquemada, Internet Police

8/01/2007 6:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home