Friday, August 10, 2007

Paul's Suggested Guide for Athletes Describing Injuries

I just caught Donovan McNabb on PTI, and the boys asked him about his knee. He said he was just "throwing out a number" when he said the other day that it was 75% and everyone in Philly went crazy. That got me thinking... One man's 75% might be another man's 50% and another man's 95%. It's not really a helpful way to describe how you're feeling...until now. I've devised a scale that I think athletes, teams, and media should use when discussing how an injury feels. And here it is:

100% - Don't feel it.
99% - Feel it only if I twist/bang/yoink it.
95% - feel it at the end of a workout
90% - feel it every once in a while during a workout
85% - Aches a while at the end of a workout
80% - Aches during the workout but doesn't really hold me back
75% - Still holding me back a little bit, but could play.
60% - Not ready to play, but I'm ahead of schedule, and the end is in sight
50% - I've made a lot of progress but I've still got a ways to go
40% - I'm behind schedule.
25% - This is going to take a while.
10% - Out for 6 weeks
5% - Out for Year
0% - Out for Career


Wouldn't that be extremely helpful? Alternatively, reporters could carry around a list like this and athletes could point to the description that best fits how they feel. It's genius!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

-10% - Out for Career: Leg (missing).
-20% - Out for Career: Face
-100% - Out for Career: Death.

8/10/2007 8:41 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

As in:

"Griffey suffered a devastating injury Friday, and in the post-game press conference Reds officials called it his worst one ever.

"In fact, according to the team, by Saturday morning Griffey was feeling 'negative 100 percent.'

"In truth, team officials admitted, he was dead."

8/10/2007 8:47 PM  
Blogger Prof. A said...

"According to a Yahoo! fantasy note quoting a Yahoo! boxscore, Chris Duncan will start in place of Griffey tonight, or so Yahoo! claims."

8/11/2007 7:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

78% - Enough to get a yellow card, a goal, and an assist.

8/15/2007 10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home