Sunday, March 04, 2007

Big East draw

Interesting draw for the Orange in the Big East tournament.

First they'll face UConn. The Hukies season is probably my favorite storyline of the 2006-07 season. They're absolutely atrocious: 6-10 in the Big East after a putrid non-conference schedule. Those are the kind of seasons Jim Boeheim never has. The only thing that could make me happier is (as always) if during a game, while he was jumping up and down and screaming at the refs, a laptop fell out of Jim Calhoun's sports coat. I imagine Calhoun freezing as the game comes to halt and the arena goes dead quiet...then erupting into confused chaos as Calhoun flees the stadium.

Still, there are a couple other teams I would rather be playing. I can bash Calhoun until his last illegally recruited blue chipper gets arrested, but that won't change the fact that he plans a good game whenever he faces Syracuse. Luckily, the only team that the Huskies beat this season that finished above them in the standings was Syracuse exactly one month ago. And that was when the Huskies were still on the bubble. Remember: these guys were favored to win the NCAAs a year ago, but bombed out against George Mason largely because of poor chemistry. Somehow I don't think their motivation will be enough to beat Syracuse.

And let me just say here that I think the Orange are playing their best basketball all season. I even think they outplayed Villanova, only losing because of Villanova's ridiculous free throw shooting (and ridiculously high amount of FTs taken). How good are we playing? Sweet sixteen good, I'd say. They just have to TCB* against UConn.

If they do, they'll face Notre Dame. This season's blowout notwithstanding, Syracuse has owned the Irish in recent years. Plus, rule #2 of conference college basketball applies:
1.) It's nearly impossible to beat a team three times in a season, no matter how bad they are and how bad you are.
2.) If you embarass a solid team in the first meeting, expect to get your comeuppance in the second.

Homer: Oh, Lisa, you saved me! And after all the bad things I said about you.
Lisa: What bad things? Why?
Homer: Oh, Lisa, the important thing is I didn't get my comeuppance, and I never will.
Lisa: (notices the restauranteurs massing) Uh...Dad?
Homer: I know honey. The important thing is...run!
(fade to credits)
Homer: Oooh. Finally getting my comeuppance.

If they dispatch the Irish, Syracuse will likely get Georgetown. Of course, I recently discussed my favorable attitudes towards the Orange's chances against the Hoyas in this space.

After that is the finals. It would be remarkable, but if Syracuse does get that far, win or lose, they'll be considered one of the hottest teams in the country going into the tournament. Many will point to last year's early exit as evidence for suspecting another first round loss for the Orange. But last year Syracuse's most important player was injured. Terrance Roberts might have to have his leg amputated if he plays four straight days, but Syracuse has already learned how to win without him. So I pooh-pooh anyone who suggests the Orange might be better if they don't play four games in a row. The most important thing is to get as high a seed as possible, and the farther Syracuse goes, the better. I like their chances to go far.

Prediction: I can't ignore my own rationale. Syracuse loses by 11 to Pittsburgh in the finals.



*Take care of business.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where's the commentary on the new Syracuse basketball uniforms: http://deadspin.com/sports/college-basketball/dont-expect-your-rec-league-to-adopt-these-241656.php

3/05/2007 4:49 PM  
Blogger Prof. A said...

Wow. Good catch Kush. I hadn't heard about those. Honestly, I wish we weren't the ones test driving those bad boys. I'm sure D-Nic will look good, but I don't know if Gorman can pull it off. Too bad Onuaku is red-shirting. He'd look frightening.

3/05/2007 6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just hope they aren't as hideous as the "unis" of the Australian Opals.

3/06/2007 10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home