Friday, November 17, 2006

Ripple Felt Across the Pond

Apparently there's a big football game tomorrow? I've heard something about that...

I will be watching, courtesy the North American Sports Network at the Gaiton family residence. This is almost a "George Costanza watching Breakfast at Tiffany's with that random family" situation, exept that I do know the son, Michael Gaiton, through Young Life here. Never met the parents. Unlike George, I will be bringing some token of my appreciation. Maybe some chocolate-peanut butter "buckeyes" or some roasted wolverine meat.

Normally, I'm an Ohio State sympathizer. They've been my Big 10 team ever since their hapless John Cooper days. Plus I've always hated Michigan for some reason (I'm not sure if I hate Michigan because I hate their fight song, or I hate their fight song because I hate Michigan, but I've felt strongly about both for as long as I was a college sports fan.)

But Onondaga grad Mike Hart holds a special place in my hart. A few of you remember his unbelievable run in the dome when I was calling the state semifinal for i2sports.com. "And they'll give it to Hart. Hart tries to run outside...breaks one tackle. Still on his feet! He's still on his feet! OH MY GOD! Hart is going into the endzone! That's the most amazing run I've ever seen!" Or something like that, when he broke about 20 tackles (yes, many players had multiple shots at him) and ran almost 70 yards, not including his cut back all the way across the field. Anyway, I can't NOT root for Mike Hart. But it kills me to pull for Michigan. So we'll see.

This is going to be one for the ages, isn't it? I can feel it, even in England. Frankly, there is NO doubt in my mind that I'm more excited for this game than I will be for the national title. It's completely illogical, but thaaaaaat's sports!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home