Friday, March 03, 2006

College Basketball: The Dismality of SU Hoops

In the wake of the worst SU hoops loss I've ever seen, here's two e-mails between my cousin and me...

Hi Paul. I needed to fill you in on attending SU play DePaul last night. The place was going bonkers, especially the 2nd half. They hadn't seen anything like that ever. Leslie and I left with 9:30 to play, they were down 27 at the time. It only got worse. I don't want to see SU in the NIT although that's more likely now - - last night on national TV didn't help their chances while on the bubble. What are your thoughts? Hope all is well buddy.


-Mark

----------------

Hey Mark,

I'm not as interested in our chances of going to the tournament as I am in whether our quality of play is tournament caliber, and with brief exceptions, it just hasn't been. What's the point of going to the tournament if we're not going to make any noise? I thought we had bottomed out in Cincy and turned a corner in our win over Louisville at the dome, but I was pretty dismayed when we didn't assert ourselves in the win-able Georgetown game and not really surprised with our flat play against DePaul (though shocked by the score).

For two months, I've waited for us to turn a corner. Unless something changes against Villanova and into the Big East tournament, there is no point to a Syracuse NCAA trip. If we back in as an 11 or 12 seed, our prestige might make some less-observant analysts tab us as a sweet 16 darkhorse, but we know better.

Some of the reasons behind our lackluster season include:
-Gerry is a clutch shooter, and a dangerous complementary player to a Hak or Melo, but not a number 1 guy.
-Roberts was not as good as we hoped.
-Our brutal schedule, notably the UConn-Nova-Pitt gauntlet, deflated our spirits and stunted our growth.
-We didn't improve over the course of the season. Roberts, Nichols, and Watkins never got to a consistency.

I'm going to the Villanova game on Sunday. I just heard it's sold out, and Scranton is sending 64 buses. Maybe the crowd and the emotion of the day will finally give us a spark. But even if we somehow win, if we don't get on a little roll in the Big East tournament, I don't think we'll do anything in the NCAAs.

Those are my thoughts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home