Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Winter Olympics: Not That There's Anything Wrong With Men's Figure Skating

I've watched an embarrassing amount of figure skating over the past couple nights. It's not my fault! I blame the following...

NBC
Basically, if you want to watch Olympics from 6:00 until midnight, you have to watch figure skating. I wish they'd be more precise with their TV schedules, so I could Q/V* to something more appealing and know right when to switch back.

And what's up with this "Olympic Ice?" I didn't ask for a "daily, all-access pass inside the world of figure skating," and I don't want it. Gouge my eyes out with a cell phone antennae from the hours of 6 to 7pm for the duration of the winter Olympics!

America
You're the ones who made figure skating a highly viewed program. Come on! I also blame you for the following television-related debacles:
-The cancellation of Arrested Development. Come on!
-The popularity of Will and Grace. Come on!
-Carson Daly. Come on!

My Roomates
The Olympics are meant to be watched in a group. First of all, you don't feel like a weirdo when others are getting just as pumped up at you at women's curling (see The Fort** earlier this evening). Second, you get the bunker mentality necessary to fully enjoy the Olympics; I enjoy rooting for other countries more than anyone, but even I can't help but get sucked into the "us against the world" mood when an American succeeds. Finally, the Olympics are a real water cooler sporting event. It's fun to see what other people are getting out of it.

I'm delighted to say that Fyall and Hagan are as into the Olympics as I could hope. If they are on TV, they are on our TV. But that means we watch figure skating. Hagan is pro. Fyall was con yesterday and pro today (typical). And I'm...well...let's move on to the last person to blame.

The Part of Me that Likes Figure Skating
If they fall, it's sad. If they don't, it's nice. That's about all I have to say about that.



*In the year two thousand aught-two, Fyall and I were spending Winter Break at Killington. Melo was in high school. Hak Warrick was in his freshman year. And Deshaun Williams was insane.

Anyway, the mountain got iced over on Selection Sunday, and they gave us a rain check that we decided to use the next day. We spent the entire day inside, watching the last couple conference championships, Selection Sunday, and that Brian Dennehy/Bobby Knight ESPN movie. Sometime that day, we realized that the hotel remote control's "Previous Channel" button was labeled quite simply "Q/V." The term, "Q-slash-V-it" was born.

**The Fort is the name of my current residence. My roommates are Fyall and Hagan.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Fyall was con yesterday and pro today (typical)."

I think that's the favorite thing I've read about myself in a while. I'm very amused. I think it's quite accurate.

2/15/2006 12:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home