Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The Vikings are Getting Favre'ed for Christmas

Editors Note: Cousin Eric, as long as he refrains from pimping his own defunct blog, will be contributing regularly to The Sports Sauna. For his day job, his career is business.

Hey Paul, did you hear about Tiger!? My buddy Skip Tiger, got a DWI over the weekend, blew a 0.22!

Anyways, I have decided to write a bi-weekly column in the Sports Sauna pending your concurrence of course. Why bi-weekly you ask? Well, weekly was a bit too much and monthly not enough. Any more idiotic questions? Oh and I wanted to make sure this wasn’t all about how awesome Syracuse hoops is. Granted they beat up on my Tar Heels a month or so back but this team just struggled to put away the Bonnies minus their best player. Some balance to the editorial staff couldn’t hurt cuz…


Let me first share my thoughts on the NFL. In the classic movie “Kingpin”, Roy Munson was so infamous for his inability to capitalize on his god-given talents that the American public verbalized his last name. In other words, to get Munson’ed was to have the whole world in the palm of your hand only to piss it away (courtesy of urbandictionary.com). I would like to be the first to coin the verb Favre’ed. The definition would be something like; to build unrealistic hopes and dreams to an entire fan base only to break their hearts when you can’t possibly deliver. For example, the Jets got “Favre’ed” last year going 8-3, loving life, thinking Super Bowl, only to sputter down the stretch (1-4) and miss the playoffs. Granted, Brett did have a torn biceps tendon but let’s look at what’s happening with the Vikings. After starting the season an impressive 10-1, they have now dropped two of three. Much to my chagrin may I add as I have/had him starting on my FF team. There are articles popping up all over the internet explaining how Favre refuses to be benched, the Vikings are falling apart and they can’t match up to any of the NFC playoff teams. Being a Bears fan, nothing sees me happier than to watch Favre lose football games during the holiday season and it looks like the streak will continue. It will be a sad state of affairs in Minnesota if they get beat by the Bears this Monday.


Speaking of the Bears, Cutler has obviously been a disappointment. You can’t lead the league in picks and expect people to love you. Unless of course, you are Favre who makes up for it by throwing a snowball after a TD and laughing on the sidelines…oh wow look at how young Brett appears, he is really enjoying himself, it’s so refreshing….that was me doing my best impression of any commentator doing a Packers/Vikings game the last decade or two. Back to Cutler, it’s tough to watch the Bears as normally, each loss brings bad teams closer to better picks come April but Chicago traded their first and second rounder (Gaines Adams!) so literally there is not a single thing to root for. When you watch your favorite team and your only wish is for no one to get seriously injured, you need to move on to the next sports season.


That’s all I got for right now. I will provide my annual College Bowl Recap after the new year where I review my picks and why they didn’t work out for me, then we can move on to the start of the PGA Tour and of course, college hoops!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home