Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Guest Post: EA is Going Certifiably Insane this March


By Cousin Eric


What are you…certifiably insane?

That was the question I was asking Clark Kellogg after his final four picks included UNC, Kansas, Memphis and UCLA. When was the last time all four seeds made the final four? The answer is never. And by never I of course mean since the field expanded to 64 back in 1985.

Not to plug my blog or anything but I did say something eerily similar in 2005 and probably thought it again in 2006 and 2007.

I love the experts that go out on a limb and take Illinois, Duke, UNC, and their sleeper, Wake Forest. Way to get ballsy boys, keep up the good work. The reason why teams are #1 is because people expect them to make it all the way. No one is going to have a final four that includes Miss. St, Oklahoma, Arizona and Bucknell. No one that is, except me.

Can someone please explain this phenomenon to me? Does Kellogg actually go home to his family and say “how about those predictions heh? Pretty good right? Impressive no?” I mean come on!! Though to his defense no expert goes out on a limb and picks George Mason to make a run. They just don’t want to look like idiots so taking all 4 top seeds ensures them to get a t least one right.

On a quick side note – Bob Knight recently joined ESPN and is currently wearing an ESPN sweater on the Bracketology show. Pretty impressive Bobby, that’s like those deuchebags that go to a Dave Matthews concert and wear a Dave Matthews concert t-shirt just to show people that they are legit Dave Matthews fans. We get it! You work for ESPN, congratulations.

Quick slightly humorous comments on each bracket and EA’s predictions:

EAST

They are saying this is a tough draw for UNC but I just don’t believe it. Tennessee along with the entire SEC for that matter is overrated. Tennessee beat Memphis that’s pretty much all I can remember about the Volunteers. I am getting the vibe from the experts that we could be looking at a Tenn/Louisville matchup in the Sweet Sixteen. I see only one of these teams making it to the Elite Eight to get beat by the Tar Heels. Notre Dame vs Wash St could be an intriguing matchup. Primarily because I couldn’t name you one person on either team though Notre Dame does have a lot of good white guys I think. Let’s give them the edge to lose to UNC Round 2.

Final Four –gone Conclusion – North Carolina.

Upset CitySouth Alabama and/or St Joes

MIDWEST

Kansas looked impressive against Texas and I can’t see them losing to anyone other than the Heels. But per my earlier notes I don’t believe in picking all the top seeds so I see them losing to a streaky Vanderbilt/Clemson team. Failing that, Kansas drops to G-town in the Regional finals. USC vs Kansas State is kind of a cool game that the committee set up purely to see Mayo vs Beasley. I really like Wisconsin and the under in every game this year. They either go to the Final Four or don’t make it out of the first weekend.

Final Four-gone conclusion - Wisconsin (Plan B – G-town)

Upset City – K State, Kansas getting knocked out in round 3.

South

Memphis will not win it all this year. If they do, I will send everyone a dollar. Michigan State goes one and out each year so I have them losing to Pittsburgh in game 2. Cornell over Stanford? Maybe in hockey Danny…Stanford makes a magical run this year taking down Texas and then Pittsburgh to make the last four.

Final Four-gone conclusion – Stanford ( Plan B – Texas)

Upsets – St Marys, Memphis losing at some point.


West

It’s always fun to predict when Duke will predictably disappoint its small fan base and lose to a higher ranked but much more talented team. This year I am thinking that team is going to be Xavier or quite possibly Arizona. UCLA is stacked so it will be tough not to see them make it to the Final game. Everyone is so high on Drake but watch for the Hiltoppers of Western Kentucky. Pretty stacked region here with Uconn, A&M, Xavier and Purdue all capable teams.

Final Four-gone conclusion – UCLA

Upsets Belmont/Arizona/Xavier

Lets be honest I am probably looking at maybe one of my four predictions that actually make it to San Antonio. But if lightning strikes four times, look for UNC to be playing UCLA in the championship game.

And yes I am aware that they are both #1 seeds.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Prof. A said...

My favorite comment was "Michigan State goes one and out each year..." Izzo went to three straight final fours from 99-01! OK, so that was a long time ago. 2005 much? I have actually been tossing around the thought that Tom Izzo might be the best active tournament coach. There is no ceiling for his teams in the tournament, regardless of seed. The only knock against the Spartans this year is they are lead by a white guy.

3/18/2008 2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home