Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Orange Creed

In honor of the greatest American sporting event, I'm going to try to post once a day all week this week. The selection show is just a couple hours away. From that point forward, I will immerse myself in the bracket for three straight days. By Tuesday night, I will probably have the thing memorized. By Wednesday, I'll have filled out about a dozen different brackets. By Friday, all but one of them will be toast.

But for now, in honor of a likable, if flawed, Syracuse basketball team, I'm presenting you with...

The Paul Arras Syracuse Orange Basketball Creed
As of March 16, 2008

I believe in Boeheim's 2-3 zone.

I believe in showing up early to the dome to watch the team warm up.

I believe in staying at games until the clock hits zero, especially in blowouts so I can watch the walk-ons.

I believe, in retrospect, what I thought were the Glory Years were actually the "Gerry Years." 2 Big East Tournament titles. 1 Big East Player of the Year award. 1 National Championship. 1 Unofficial Big 12 Conference Title.

I believe we'll never see a player quite like Hakim Warrick.

I believe Carmelo Anthony stayed at Syracuse University long enough.

I believe Josh Pace should always be mentioned in any discussion of great NCAA Glue Guys.

I believe the 06-07 team did more than enough to prove it belonged in the NCAA field.

I believe Doug Gottlieb has something personal against Syracuse.

I believe in respecting John Thompson III, but not Jim Calhoun.

I believe no other coach could do as well for as long in Syracuse, NY as Jim Boeheim has.

* * *

Next year...

I believe Donte Greene's defense will improve.

I believe Arinze Onuaku will be even better.

I believe Paul Harris will play smarter.

I believe Jonny Flynn will take another step towards becoming the greatest PG ever to play at Syracuse.

I believe Eric Devendorf will take another step towards becoming the least-liked great player ever to play at Syracuse.

I believe Andy Rautins will get back to overachieving.

I believe Rick Jackson will lead the team in blocks.

I believe Kristof Ongenaet will get a double-double.

I believe Scoop Jardine will, unfortunately, be the one who loses playing time with the return of Rautins and Devendorf.

I believe the Orange will challenge for the Big East title.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home