Thursday, March 29, 2007

More Beckham

Paul is rocking the casbah here at the Sports Sauna and I'm loving it. Big time. Always something good to read at the Sauna!

As my steroids treatise continues to gestate, I've just got a soccer-related tidbit.

Or, just more info about Beckham's contract, as written by Forbes.com, as appearing at Soccernet: "(Beckham's) five-year MLS deal, which gives him a cut of ticket sales and a 45% share of the take from sales of all Galaxy team jerseys, could be worth $250 million."

45 percent of jersey sales! Wow.

The Beckham contract continues to fascinate me. I love how the MLS is, in some sense, gambling with its future and it is happening before our eyes. We are accustomed to seeing businesses put their necks on the line, but I'm not aware of any sports equivalent to the MLS.

How do you attract attention? How do you fulfill a sense of obligation (develop American soccer) while also building a responsible business? How do you do it in a media culture that pays you no heed, and a sports world that gives you no respect?

Awesome stuff, MLS. Keep it up.

(In related news, I saw an annoucement for Thursday night MLS games on ESPN2HD all season long. Sweet!!!! commercials here).

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Prof. A said...

I like the MLS commercials, but I don't love them. Maybe I've been out of the country too long.

I LOVED the This is Sportscenter commercials. The Demon Deacon doesn't have ears!! Ha ha ha ha!!!!

3/30/2007 10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home