Friday, December 01, 2006

More from Simmons

The Sports Guy, in the same article Fyall mentions below, named his favorite football announcing teams today. I thought it was pretty solid. I was most pleased with his inclusion of Gus Johnson. Massively underrated. The only thing better than hearing him call and NFL game is hearing him call an NCAA tournament game. The day that CBS replaces Jim Nantz and Billy Packer with Gus Johnson and some great complementary color guy for the Final Four will be a happy day indeed. While we're at it, can we get Gus on the 18th at the Masters?

Chemistry is so important. I was trying to think of a good color guy to go with Johnson, but the best color man currently working is Bill Raferty, and his personality would clash with Johnson's enthusiasm. Ditto for my favorite, the controversial Dick Vitale. Johnson needs to work with a calmer voice, perhaps Bob Valvano, who randomly calls small games for ESPN. Vitale is perfectly partnered with Mike Patrick, who does a good job of meshing with him.

Speaking of Patrick, I would include him 2nd to Gus Johnson for my favorite football crews. I know the Sports Guy and my brother would completely disagree. Patrick is the reason why I DIDN'T hate the old Patrick-Theisman-McGuire trio. For some reason, his voice gets me excited about football just like Gus Johnson's does. I just connect it with football at night on ESPN, and probably always will. And really, it's his voice that I like the best. When I called football games on the Internet, I imitated him more than anyone. I like Patrick better for football than basketball, but he's good for both.

Some of my other favorite announcers:
David Feherty - The absolute best guy-who-follows-one-pairing-all-day in golf.
Dan Shulman - Solid at college basketball, now even better doing MLB on ESPNRadio
Gary Thorne - I don't watch hockey, but if I did, he'd be the one I'd want to be calling the game.
Sean McDonough - SU alum is excellent at college basketball, and I wish I could hear him call Red Sox games.
Dr. Jerry Punch - Great sideline reporter for college football

That's just a sample, really. I'm sure I'm leaving plenty out.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Len Elmore & Gus Johnson combination is pretty solid.

12/02/2006 6:35 PM  
Blogger Prof. A said...

I'm not a huge Len Elmore fan, but only because he'll randomly rip the Orange or the Big East or something. Actually, I forget why. Chris probably knows. Other then that, I agree. Elmore is great with Gus; I had forgotten they worked together.

12/02/2006 7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home