Saturday, August 12, 2006

EPL Predictions

Another season of the Premiership is upon us. And for the first time since 2003, I get to be in England for it! Expect plenty of coverage from the island right here on the Sports Sauna. First, here's my sense of the worst and the best of British football.

RELEGATION: Generally, I always expect two of the three newcomers to the Premiership to slip back down. And quite often, there is a Premiership regular that is obviously fragile.

The new boys: I'm carrying a huge bias here, but I like Reading to stay up. They feature Americans Marcus Hahnemann in goal and Bobby Convey at midfield. That leaves SHEFFIELD UNITED and WATFORD as the boys headed down. Between the two, the only player I'm familiar with is Chinese International Li Tie of Sheffield, who was mediocre when I watched him with Everton.

Danger Zone: Call it the curse of Claudio Reyna: MAN CITY goes down. The old American captain went down with the Sunderland ship in 2003. It wasn't his fault...he only played 11 games for them. Look for his usual multiple injuries this year. The rest of the team really lacks sparkle. They're leading scorer from last year, Andy Cole, is 34. And their second leading scorer, Darius Vassell, is the definition of "an absence of sparkle."


THE TOP: I really like TOTTENHAM to break into the top four this year. They've got some great youth. That mean one of the big 4 drops down. I think Liverpool overachieved last year and will slip back this time, even with Bill Simmons following them. On the other hand, ARSENAL will do a bit better this time around and challenge MAN U for second.

CHAMPS: I can't not not bet against CHELSEA. They are too powerful and, I must admit, well-coached.

As for Everton, I think they'll be in the fight for a top 6 position and a trip to the UEFA Cup.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who is Simmons rooting for? I thought he choose Tottenham?

8/28/2006 12:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home