Sunday, June 11, 2006

World Cup: US Edge in Freshness??

Knuggahts...

Here's a little knuggaht for anyone disatisfied with Dave O'Brien's commentary at the World Cup. Turns out 6 months ago he had never called a soccer game in his life. Generally, I don't think I could do a better job than most pro announcers. This time though, I think I should send ESPN a tape of myself doing soccer games.

One last thought before the American's take the field tomorrow at noon EST. I think we might have a slight edge in the fact that a large chunk of our players aren't coming off 9-month club seasons that most other players have just been through. The MLS season more or less coincides with MLB. So those players have only just started their season. Meanwhile, Reyna and O'Brian have been dealing with injuries, and haven't played full seasons. And Beasley played a little less this year for PSV than he did last year. Beaz needs to improve his form, but lots of players get a surge in their form when they play for their country. Who knows, maybe we'll be just a bit less tired than our European foes.

Finally, through 6 games, I think the Dutch have looked better than any team, and Robben looked better than any individual. That's bad news for Nigel...

"There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch." -Nigel Powers

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home