Tuesday, May 09, 2006

MLB: Coolest Players Team

In our fantasy baseball league, Chaves posted a team of players that he described as "The Coolest Players at Each Position." It's completely subjective, which makes it fun.

So these are the ball players I think are the coolest guys, the guys I root for regardless of uniform (although putting on the pinstripes or a Braves jersey will knock them off this list. See: The Moose, Smoltz). Fantasy factors in, but overall perception is the key. So here's My Guys:

C: Varitek
1B: Nick Johnson
2B: Utley
3B: Wright
SS: Reyes
OF: Vladdy
OF: Ichiro
OF: Griffey
DH: Hafner

SP: Willis
SP: Pedro
SP: Morris
SP: Clement
SP: Wakefield
CP: K-Rod

Few notes...
Nick Johnson: When Nicky was still in the minors, he came to Syracuse to play the SkyChiefs. I went to see the game and knowing he was a top prospect with the Yankees, made a $20 bet with my high school buddy Goldberg that he would make the Hall of Fame. Nick has yet to make an all-star game, but he's still only 27. He might win a batting title some day, if he can stay healthy. I intend to pay up my bet, but I continue to hold out hope. Even though its hurt his chances for the hall, I'm glad he left the Yankees so I can put him on this team.

Ichiro: Out of all the players in the league, Ichiro is the one who I'm most likely to stop what I'm doing to watch him hit. I'm always nervous that his magic will run out. Will he bring his average back up this year? Maybe, maybe not. But so far, he's been a fascinating player.

Vladdy: Probably the second most interesting player to watch hit. Hits everything. I hope his health stays.

Griffey: The great tragedy of the steroid era is Griffey, who was never suspected of juicing. But that topic deserves its own column.

Pitchers: Willis and Pedro are fun to watch pitch. Morris I liked when he was awesome and I hope he can put it back together some day; his career has fallen off track since his friend, Darryl Kile, died. I still believe Matt Clement will throw a no-hitter someday. Wakefield is self-explanatory. And K-Rod is just a freak.


P.S. For the record, here's Chaves's team. You'll note a distinctly green flavor to his allegiances...

C: Ausmus
1B: Pujols
2B: Utley
3B: Chavez (Rolen)
SS: Crosby (Furcal)
OF: Wells
OF: Griffey
OF: Byrnes
DH: Thome

SP: Harden
SP: Haren
SP: Willis
SP: Zito
SP: Maddux (Madson) (Duke)
CP: Nathan

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

who is Morris? Matt Morris?

5/10/2006 8:21 AM  
Blogger Prof. A said...

Matty Morris. The man Peter Gammons once predicted would win multiple Cy Youngs.

5/10/2006 1:34 PM  
Blogger Lizzie said...

I'm really annoyed by your discrimination.

5/13/2006 10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home