Thursday, March 18, 2010

Day 1: What have we learned?

With two games still in action, what have we learned today?
  • I don't buy the whole "The Big East was overrated" conclusion. This kind of thing happens to one or more conferences in the first round every year. Last year, for example, four ACC teams lost in the first round - a 4-seed, a 5-seed, and two 7-seeds. The ACC won the whole thing with North Carolina. However, I will buy, "the committee overrated some Big East teams."
  • We did learn that Villanova is still playing poorly. Saint Mary's is going to give them a heckuva game! Heckuva!
  • We learned that the MAC (Ohio) is dangerous. Well, at least Georgetown learned that. I already knew, I was just reminded of it. If there is a good side to the 96-team proposal under consideration, its that conferences like the MAC, the MVC (Northern Iowa), and the WCC (Gonzaga and St. Mary's) will get multiple bids.
  • We learned Marquette is mediocre, and Quincy Poindexter is more than just a sweet name.
  • We learned Notre Dame was a crummy team that got hot, and should not have gotten a 6-seed.
  • We learned Butler is legit. From an SU perspective, I fear them at least as much I fear Pitt or Kansas State, partly because the farther we go the more I'll believe we're playing well.
  • We also learned Baylor is very dangerous, with a variety of weapons. From a Duke perspective, I fear them much more than I did yesterday. That will be an epic regional final.
  • We learned, actually I noticed...um...BYU is one win away from getting to play in Salt Lake City! Jimmer-ny Fredette!!
  • Finally, and most importantly, we learned we were right. This year really is watered down. This tournament is wide open. Anything is fair game. Northern Iowa knocking off Kansas? Cornell to the elite eight? Butler to the final four? A 1-seed going down? (AAAHHH! NOOOOOO!!!)
Predictions for tomorrow... (I know, these are useless with brackets already turned in. Oh well!)

  • Big East goes 4-0.
  • I like the 12-seeds more than ever... New Mexico State, Cornell, Utah State.
  • Gonzaga wins big, and SU fans shudder collectively.
  • A 1-seed could fall... Wait! No! I take it back! Aaaahhhh!!! Nooooo!!!
  • Xavier wins big.
  • There is always one blowout upset win in the first round... and it may have already happened with Ohio. But if it is going to happen again, I think it'll be...Siena.
  • Memphis edges Mississippi in the NIT.

Happy March Madness!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home