Sunday, June 17, 2007

Notent Notables: U.S. Open Final Round Pre-Thoughts

Preview has the wrong connotations. I don't have a particularly interesting view. These are Pre-Toughts:
  • First off, let me say that if Sports Illustrated writes a "little-known Aaron Baddeley comes out of nowhere to hold off Tiger and win the US Open" I'm never reading SI again. Badds is not little-known. He's 24th in the world rankings. He's won twice on the tour. And he's another one of these good young Aussies that golf fans have been keeping an eye on for the past four or five years, just like Ogilvy last year.
  • That doesn't matter, because Tiger is going to win. Baddeley is a good player, but he'll make more mistakes than Tiger, and won't get away with them.
  • Bubba Watson's ninth hole was doomed from the start. His swing on the tee was a classic "Holy crap, I'm suddenly leading the US Open on Saturday" swing.
  • If I had to pick one guy other than the final group to win...I'm not sure who I'd take. Rose, Casey, Ames (+5) are all playing great. Big names like Furyk, Appleby, Toms, and even Singh are lurking.
  • The guys who WON'T win...Watson(+5), Stricker(+6), Cabrera(+6), and Anders Hanson the Dane (+19).
  • Winning score? +4, which is, I believe, exactly the score that Tiger predicted would win the tournament.
  • Random guy who will shoot low early and somehow make the top 10? How about Nick O'Hern, the Aussie? He's currently T-26 at +11. And his scores have improved three straight days: 76-74-71.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home