Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Missing a Classic and a Question for Chris

Over the past couple years, my attention has been returned to the NBA after a long period of dis-interest that was triggered by MJ's retirement and enforced by the dominance of the unlikable Lakers and the likable but dull Spurs. Why am I following the pros? Quite simply, Bill Simmons's NBA articles get me excited about it. For instance, there is no annual media offering I look forward to more each year than his annual NBA Trade Value column, which has provided, for me, the definitive ranking of NBA players every year since 2000.

This article back in January keyed me into the Suns this year. I had been a Steve Nash fan for a little while, dating back to his Mavericks days. I was excited to see the guy win the MVPs. The Simmons column got me more excited about an NBA team than I had been since MJ left the Bulls. I immediately asked my dad to tape the next Phoenix game before he came to visit me in February. The taping failed, and as a result, I haven't seen one Suns game (or NBA game for that matter) all year. The North American Sports Network had NCAA rights, and now is delivering MLB plus PTI as a result ESPN's recent takeover (woohoo!), but someone else, probably my nemesis Sky, has the NBA. I didn't see a single Premiership game in its entirety this year because of Sky's monopoly. Not one! I hate them. But back to the NBA...

It seems to me that this Spurs-Suns series is turning into a classic, and I can't watch it. If it does go to 7 games, I'll have to take evasive action and either buy it online or go to a sports bar and watch it in the wee hours. I'm bummed to be missing it. Despite Simmons's assertion that the Suns will not win, I think it could go either way.

Anyway, that's a long foreword to a question I wanted to pose to Chris. Back when Nash was on the Mavericks, you were much less impressed with him than I was. I was wondering how you feel about him now, following two MVP seasons and a third season that might have been his best yet. I know you admitted he made the leap in the past few years, but how far has he leaped for you? Do you have anything to say about this or does the Seattle situation still preclude you from commenting on the NBA? Just wondering...

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Yeah, the NBA boycott is still in theory in effect. But, my roommate Sudhir loves the NBA, so that can be problematic, especially at dinner time.

For instance, Sudhir and I watched last night's game, and I admitted to him something like "up through at least my junior year in college, I had never seen Nash play a single game where I thought, 'He's good.' I always thought he was overrated big time." Suds said the same thing.

Maybe Seattle had shut him down? I don't know.

Anyway, Yes, I jumped off the anti-Nash bandwagon a few years ago. I mean, I basically had to. Two MVPs, etc, all that you said — there's no anti-Nash bandwagon left.

But, his game still annoys me. He gets up in the air, and he doesn't know where he's going with the ball. Even last night, half of his fourth quarter passes smelled more of panic than of inspiration. With Dirk, he could never take the Mavs over the top. With Amare, who is much more dominant than Dirk ever was (Maddux = excellence; Pedro = dominance), I still don't think Nash will be able to do it. He lacks "it", I think. He missed two of his last four free throws or something. That seemed entirely within keeping.

That said, I like the fire in his eyes. I like the bandage on his nose. I like him. I think he's excellent. I'd trade two months of Nash for a season of Ray Allen. But, I don't think he's the greatest

5/15/2007 7:34 PM  
Blogger Prof. A said...

Not the greatest, agreed. More of a "Bobby Hurley of the pros" kind of guy. He's done the most with the least amount of talent, in other words. I think that will be his legacy. The best player who wasn't naturally great at basketball. He's a soccer midfielder trapped in a pro basketball player.

5/16/2007 7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home